

This summer I was asked by a few girls if I wanted to participate in a fantasy football league. I thought about it, knew I knew nothing about it, and said yes. It cost me 50bucks and I had the possibility to win $350-$150. Although I'm not a gambling girl (you'll see why shortly), I thought this sounded good. We met in the pre season at a local bar for our draft. There were 9 of us in person at the and one on the phone. We came prepared with our fantasy stats magazines and drew names out of the hat for our draft pick order. Our fabulous commissioner secured us a nice big table at the bar and brought an intensive wipe board chart where she would document our picks. Props to her, I don't know how she kept all this straight! I got the first draft pick! Let's just say that was the best luck I had all season (maybe the only luck!). Oh and after the draft order was determined a shot was taken by all and texting/phone communications with significant others, friends, and those with football prowess was discontinued. We're big girls, we know our Marques Colston from our Laveranues Coles. So we were off, round after round. We ate dinner, had a few beers, discussed the unimportance of picking a good defense early in the draft. Some of the girls had participated in a couples league the year before so they had a little more knowledge. I left that evening not know what I had gotten myself into!
The first few weeks of the season I was pretty lost, although Yahoo was the server we used for our league and it would pretty much calculate everything for you. After a while I got used to moving players around during bye weeks, dropping injured players, picking up free agents, etc. Adrian Peterson was my running back (the #1 draft pick for fantasy this fall). He rocked it out all season, but I had some bad luck. Even though I had some high scoring games, my match up's had higher. There were some tough losses! My quarter backs were Tony Romo and Jay Cutler. They both had some good games and it was often a tough call on who to play. I finished the season 4-10. I wasn't dead last the entire time. Sometimes I was tied for last! ha!
It was a good experience and I will play again next season. Pro football is a pretty popular subject around this town and I enjoy knowing a little bit of what's going on. Also it was a fun group of girls. Some I knew better than others and I enjoyed getting together for our mid season and post season/awards ceremony gatherings.
That brings me to the awards....

There is a show on fox called "The League". It's about a group of guys and their fantasy football teams. Not something I would typically watch on my own, but I was out of town with a group of fellow fantasy players and tuned in. It was hilarious. The name of their tournament is the "Shiva Bowl". Shiva was an unfortunate looking girl that they went to high school together and they dubbed their fantasy trophy "Shiva'. During this episode one of the guys is doing well with his team and they find out that he is dating the real Shiva. She's now a successful doctor and no longer so unfortunate looking. I really can't do it justice in explaining this storyline, but it has us all rolling.. I recommend finding the episode online and watching it. If not, definitely catch it next season. During the weekend that I was away with the fellow fantasy players, a dark skinned barbie doll, dubbed Shiva, showed up. I think she stowed away in a bi lo bag somewhere near Kiawah Island. We had a good time with her and she followed us home....and then some of her friends came to our awards ceremony.... They were there to present the checks and trophy's to our winners. Below are some pictures. A good time was had by all! Congrats to our big winner Melissa and our second place finisher Brooke! Can't wait to see what next season brings. Only about 6 months til our "pre" pre season gathering. Who will take home the Flip Cup Fantasy League's trophy next season?
No comments:
Post a Comment