Saturday, January 9, 2010

Knitting

About a year ago I started knitting again. Years ago my Grandmother taught me the basic stuff...casting on stitches, the knit stitch, pearl, etc. Then I decided to make my mom a scarf, using a pattern for the first time. The ladies at the store wound my yarn for me, introduced me to bamboo needles, and showed me the new stitches I'd need to know for the pattern. In no time I had made my mom a scarf! It was awesome. Since then I have done two baby blankets, a circular scarf, a few adult hats, and most recently a baby hat. This weekend I went to a baby shower for a friend from church who is due next month. She doesn't know what she's having but both she and her husband went to Clemson. I thought an orange hat would be perfect! That baby is all ready for tailgating come fall. Personally I think she's having a girl (disclaimer, I think everyone is having a girl), so I threaded some orange grosgrain ribbon through the eyelet stitches and tied it in a bow. Adorable. Seriously. This was a really easy pattern, but looks impressive. I added in the eyelet stitches after the brim so I could thread the ribbon for a little added flare. Then I did alternating rows of pearl/knit to make the cap smooth to the crown. The needles were size 7. I used Berrocco comfort worsted weight yarn. It's 50% Nylon and 50% acrylic and washable. Note, I will never make anything for a baby/child that isn't washable. Moms definitely don't have time to hand wash their babies knitted blankets and caps! Just wash them individually and on the gentle cycle. I'm looking forward to doing more of these cute little hats. It's a pattern that I can play with, changing it up to make it more masculine and feminine. Paisley says it's about time for me to make her a sweater. We'll see....


No comments:

Post a Comment