Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sewing

One of the last things on my summer to do list was to make a window treatment for my bathroom. It's one of my favorite rooms. My house was built in 1945 so it has lots of "character" if you will. About two years ago I got my friend Eliot to redo the bathroom ceiling and moulding, paint, and put in an updated light fixture. The ceiling was peeling and cracking so I had bead board put over it and since the walls are so uneven a fairly wide molding had to be put up. I love it! It made me want to redo all of my ceilings...sigh, I'll be living with crooked walls forever. I'm ok with it. Also a previous owner put in an amazing (for the small space) vanity. It gives me so much more room than the original pedestal sink would have. The bathroom is tiny and has one small window, but the space is designed so efficiently. Personally I'm good with small bathrooms because it means less to clean! It was painted yellow when I bought it and when I had it repainted I decided (after much debate) that I liked the yellow with the subway tile, but it needed to be toned down a bit. When Eliot redid the molding and pulled off the old he said there was no less than 13 layers of wall paper undneath. If only these walls could talk. I had the hardest time finding a shower curtain. Even though I've had this one for a while, I've never loved it. I knew when I purchased the material for the window treatment the end result would be me disliking the shower curtain even more! You can't see it well, but it's just a cheap black with little daisies that have green centers instead of yellow. I got the PUG painting at a home goods, which is so funny because I had been eyeing it on Art.com for a few months. It was also super cheap! Yesterday I went to a huge cloth store that is in a nearby town and found the damask black and green print material. It was perfect and only $8/yard. Since I didn't have a pattern or really even a design in mind for said window treatment I just got a yard. Also I have never made a window treatment...but I mean how hard could it be right? : ) For once in my life that was true. I just measured my window and drew a picture of what I wanted it to look like (thanks interior design degree!) and figured out what the proportions should be considering how far down I wanted it to come on the window. Very scientific. ha! I finished the edges and bottom hem, then put a casing up top for the curtain rod to go through and voila! This morning I went to Hancock Fabrics and bought the pom pom tassel trim. Originally I was going to put it on the bottom, but I decided that I liked it better just a few inches above the hem. The one thing left to do is get a curtain rod...you'd never know it's currently being held up with push pins would you? ; ) Hey it's better than duck tape.





1 comment: